Monday, July 25, 2005

Estoy Sin Una Computadora in Mi Apartamento

For the last year or so, Dave, Chris and I have been using a dated yet serviceable computer at our place. It was actually Jerry's computer from college - circa 1998. It was a bit slow, froze at times and was generally quirky but it served its purpose (and thanks for the computer, Jerry). About two weeks ago it froze and when i restarted it it went to the DOS program where it informed me that 'windows' did not exist (or wouldn't open or something). What a frustrating moment, there was nothing I could do. I tried to think back to my PC Junior days of elementary school, immediately remembering one command, DIR. This is roughly what followed:

DIR: (all the programs show up)
DIR WINDOWS: DID NOT UNDERSTAND COMMAND
RUN WINDOWS: DID NOT UNDERSTAND COMMAND
HELP WINDOWS: DID NOT UNDERSTAND COMMAND
DIR WINDOWS: DID NOT UNDERSTAND COMMAND
PLEASE WORK: DID NOT UNDERSTAND COMMAND
FUCK YOU: DID NOT UNDERSTAND COMMMAND
WHAT THE FUCK: DID NOT UNDERSTAND COMMAND
BITCH: DID NOT UNDERSTAND COMMAND
DIR: (all the programs again)




After a few rounds of the above, I resigned myself to the fact that the computer was finally dead. I mean, we knew it was coming, it was like when my friend Lilah's dog, Molly, was mad old and deaf and fucked up and stumbling around. We all knew it was going to die but she was still bummed when it finally happened (actually, Chris, Dave, Jerry and myself actually found the fucked up dog kind of funny, but, hey, we were like 12 or 13).
So now, we are without a computer. I could bring back my work laptop to the apartment but that's kind of a pain, especiall if I have a gym bag too.

If you have been wondering why I haven't been writing much, now you know. Hopefully, we'll get a new one soon, but you're talking about three guys who took the better part of this century to buy a new stereo.

1 comment:

Matt Dabney said...

A suggestion:

If any of you fellas are members of Costco or BJ's, you should check out the computers there. They are fairly inexpensive and decent computers.