Thursday, October 06, 2005

In the Knick of Time

My initial reaction to the Tim Thomas/Mike Sweetney for Eddie Curry/Antonio Davis is positive, and here's why:

  • Getting rid of Tim Thomas is a good thing. I would have traded him for a box of animal crackers. The guy has all the talent in the world and just can't get it together. An average player, not much heart, he's the kind of guy you don't want on your team because he's content with mediocrity.
  • Sweetney is OK but let's not kid ourselves, this is not the Mets trading Lenny Dykstra. Knicks fans - do you think you're ever going to say, "Damn, Sweetney is a-mazing, I wish we never traded him"? Yea, I don't think so either. He'll be a nice player but never a star.
  • Eddie Curry is pretty dope. He's a legit threat to average 20 and 10 in the next few years and that's exactly what the Knicks need out of a big man, plus it will give Marbury a big-man to compliment his talents. Curry is big, fast and athletic - also, he's only 22 so this is still clearly Marbury's team and there won't be much ego clashing, I don't think. Of course...
  • There's the heart problem thing. He could just not be able to play ever. But even if that were to happen he would come off the cap. He's not insured by the league's insurance policy but who cares if Dolan has to pay that money out of pocket? I certainly don't. In case anyone forgot, I hate the Dolans.
  • I don't know anything about Antonio Davis anymore but he was pretty good for Indiana for years if I remember correctly. I think he averaged like 12 points and 6 rebounds last year. The Knicks may cut him so he can re-sign with Chicago, in which case he'd come off the cap or they'll keep him and he'll be a decent power forward and unlike Sweetney he's over 6'4".

Overall, good move.

No comments: