Saturday, July 16, 2005

An Historic Post

In an unprecedented move, untried by any in my friends' blogging community I am going to turn over the e-pen to Mr. Richard Thompson McKay to make history's first known guest-blog-post. So all my loyal readers - strap on your e-seatbelts....Ricky, it's all yours:

This morning at 7:30, I awoke to my alarm and to find myself the guy on the couch. Evan was asleep on the lazy boy after a night with Jack and Johnny. He did not seem very excited that my alarm went off. I was excited because the New Harry Potter Book is being released today.

After a coffee and a short ride to Lincoln Center, i arrived at the Barnes and Nobles.
Walking up subway stairs to the street I was greeted by the usual fanfare. I counted 7 Harry Potter's, 5 Dumboldore's, an assortment of Hermoine and Weasley Children, and 2 Hagrid's. There was one middle aged Professor Snape who looked he was rather surly in his day to day life. Needless to say most of these people were families with children dressed up as characters and twenty to thirty something folks who looked like they were hard up for a date or to move out of their parents basement.
After reminding myself as i did at the premiere of Stars Wars a few months ago, I can make fun of these folks but only up to a certain point; it was the midnight opening night for Star Wars and I have been saving my seat for the last two and a half hours.
So into the Barnes and Nobles, 8:47am, I walked up to the display of Harry Potter Books arranged beautifully and majestically, as I reached for on near the top I was informed by a security guard that my Harry Potter book was behind the counter in one of those neat boring piles.
I paid for my book and was very excited. As I was on line, appartenly, something was happening outside. I walked out into the commotion, there was a group of Star Wars Fans that had come up to ridicule the Harry Potter Diehards, they had signs about how Jedi's could kick wizards asses, light sabers being played with threateningly by a couple of balding jedi, 3 darth vaders were insulting the hagrid's costumes, and I saw a bobofett grin and give a group of Harry Potters the finger.
Needless to say I was torn between two loves, Hogwart's and the power of the force. I decided that I would think about this a lot more clearly after reading the new Harry Potter book. I ran for the subway nervous that i would see friends from the respective conventions and be forced to choose sides.
I bought an atlas and pretended I was a tourist. After borrowing some scissors I cut two eye holes so I could see when I avoided everyone outside.
It was only after getting on the 9 train did I realize I had a map of Alaska.
The first 92 pages of the new book are good so far. I have to go read now.
Ho yes, Rick

2 comments:

ChuckJerry said...

Now I also bought the Harry Potter book yesterdya, but I certainly didn't set my alarm.

Also, only a Star wars nerd to the 10th degree would use the release of the Harry Potter book as an excuse to dress up like Boba Fett or Han Solo.

Max said...

Re-reading Rick's post, the most amazing part is that the Star Wars fans "made signs" about how Jedis could kick wizards' asses.

So, it wasn't like they showed up, saw the Harry Potter people, and then started to talk shit.

It was premeditated in that they anticipated the Harry Potter-Star Wars confrontation, and knew that they better come with some extra ammo.

That's funny, I'd love to see video of that.