Monday, April 10, 2006

Non-Courtesy Laughers

This is a post about 'non-courtesy laughers' from my friend Nat's website. I couldn't agree more(http://va-gentlemen.tripod.com/home/index.blog?entry_id=1446987):


I don’t like non-courtesy laughers. See, usually when I make a comment- whether it be an attempt at humor or just an observation on life- it elicits a chuckle or a “yeah.” But not with non-courtesy laughers. All they offer is a blank stare- a mute slap in my face.
A month ago I would have looked at this issue introspectively, asking why? What’s wrong with me? Am I not even mildly amusing? Have I been living a courtesy laugh lie my whole life? Do they think they’re that much better than I that they won’t feign even the slightest acknowledgement?
Thanks to a month of therapy and Wellbutrin, though, I can see that there’s something wrong with THEM. Simply put, the non-courtesy laugher is discourteous. They don’t care about the feelings of others. I have often wondered how I end up in the presence non-courtesy laughers. Why would I choose to hang out with individuals who don't respect my emotions? Alas, I have had little choice in the matter. I recently realized most of them either go to my law school or are related to my girlfriend. Indeed, non-courtesy laughers are extremely difficult to avoid. I must now learn how to cope with the discourtesy of the non-courteous laugher. Up until now my solution has been not to talk. I just sit there offering nothing but own courtesy laughs (because I’M courteous and I care about other people’s feelings).
Not anymore my friends. From now on, when someone denies me a courtesy laugh, I will up the distasteful ante. I will pay the discourteous sensibilities of the non-courtesy laugher a Nasty visit, one that will offer no choice but to acknowledge my commentary. Yes, I will fight discourtesy with discourtesy- my triumph in their undeniable reaction. In the end, I’d rather be outwardly loathed than dismissed. Nobody, and I mean nobody who knows what’s good for them, will deny Sir Nasty Natroneus his courtesy laugh again. In reaction I find solace and in loathing lies my sweet victory.

No comments: