Friday, August 05, 2005

The Change-ling

Today on my way home I stopped off at a bodega to get a six-pack. It was $8.50 and I gave the guy $9 singles. I had a bunch of singles for some reason, I guess. So he takes the money and almost as an afterthought, he's like "Do you have ID?". Keep in mind this is a big old not very comprehensible spanish dude. So I say, "yeah". We're just standing there and I'm all like, "do you want to see it?" and he's all like "uh, yyyyeah" and I'm just like all like whattteverrrr so I give it to him, you know? (Inexplicable foray into valley girl talk). So having been satisfied that I'm of age, he turns, puts the stuff in a bag and along with the bag hands me....nine dollars and fivty cents. Then he walks away. At first I was like dope! But then my conscience kicked in and I gave it back to him. I would have felt pretty guilty for doing that, but I definitely thought about it for a second. Good old Catholic guilt making me do a mitzvah.
What would you do?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Punk

Anonymous said...

Sadly.....I would have ran with the money!

Anonymous said...

What did you do? Leave with the money?

ChuckJerry said...

Not only would you have gotten free beer, but you would have made $1.00 on your purchase. That's a pretty good return on investment. Too bad you're Catholic.

Blame Mary next time you don't have $9.50 to buy something.

Anonymous said...

I would have returned it...
(8 years in catholic school)

Anonymous said...

Luke doesn't have a dishonest bone in his body.....and he doesn't lie either!

Anonymous said...

Its MitzVah you dumbass.. Unless you are talking about going to the communal bath to wash away all of your sins.. that would be a Mitvah. Dont comment on what you dont know til you do some research tardboy!